Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dances With Wolves?

My nephew and I were cruising to a vintage car show in Marysville in the early afternoon when I spotted this coyote by the side of the road. At first blush I thought it was a German Shepard, but this guy was big and the face is not one of a dog, and as I was writing this and reviewing pics of coyotes I'm now of the opinion that this was a wolf not a coyote. Coyotes are gaunt not much larger than a medium sized dog with small pointed ears. This guy was buff with a large snout and large, broad ears. It' not so far fetched, we are only 16 miles south of the Nebraska border.


In any case It's rare to see a coyote/wolves out during the middle of the day and after a couple of tries to get a better shot I saw why. His left rear leg was lame, he was limping along anxiously trying to cross the road, from the open pasture where he found himself to the densely wooded area on the other side of the highway. I pulled away deciding not to bother him anymore, and in my rear view mirror, saw him finally cross the road into the thicket.

BTW: Dances with Wolves is an all time great flick - check it out if you've not see it. It will bring both a smile to you face and sadness to your heart.

Communications Then and Now

This part of Kansas was the home to the first Pony Express routes. I took this somewhat ironic snap by accident, note the Microwave repeaters to the right and a cell tower to the left of the statue.


Evil is Evil in anyone's Name

Farmers hate coyotes/wolves much like the Hatfield's and McCoy's hate each other. Unfounded hate begets unfounded violence. All the farmers I've talked to tell me the coyotes are a menace and they would shoot them on sight. When I ask if coyotes ever took any of their live stock about 99% said no. Like I was saying unfounded hate ... BTW, they would sh&* their pants if they ever though wolves were coming back :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment