Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Down By The River

On the east side of Phoenix in Mesa Arizona, runs the Salt River. Eric said it was the Phoenix beach. I didn't get what he meant, until I got there. This is the place where Phoenicians go on weekends to have fun, escape the 110 degree heat, drink and party. Just like a beach in SoCal minus the sushi.

The river is pretty shallow, at most chest deep and most often just a foot or so. The type of raft I was on rode low in the water, you had to "go flat" unless you wanted to scrape you butt on the bottom and hit rocks. To ease the pain I preloaded with shots of Jack :-)

We took a 2 hour float and what was about to ensue was perhaps one of the funnest times I've ever had. Even better then singing CCR songs at MOA.

Eric took all the snaps for this post.

This was our float group. From left to right there's Patmat, Carlos with his boys behind him, some of Eric's friends and me on the far right, raising a toast and no I don't drink soda and they don't sell Jack in a can.


Floating is a very social thing. You really can't control where you go, the river decides that. You're just along for the ride and the scenery and the never ending goal to keep your beer dry. Your float group often collies with other groups sparking an instant yet fleeting party.

 
There is a custom on the river to toss marshmallows at other float parties. A marshmallow grows to 3 times it's size when it absorbs water. We broadsided another group and launched a volley of marshmallows at them, but they had military grade water guns and proceeded to soak us. Since I was in a low slung raft, I maneuvered close for a shot and returned splashing fire soaking them too. It was a riot with everyone laughing and we drifted with them for a bit until the river had it's own idea.

Here is a vid of us going through the rapids. Notice how when Eric starts spinning in the current (about half way through the vid) he flips the camera around and maintains focus on our crew. That's game bro


Pump It Up

The air fill nozzle cap, on my raft, came off while being propelled by the first set of rapids into a collision with another group and then both groups crashed into the brush on the bank . My raft became limp even though my finger had sealed the leak. I needed help. So I yelled out for Eric to blow me (up) and then proceeded with other vocalizations as he did. I'll leave that up to your imagination :-)


The group howled and roared with laughter and shouted encouragement and other things (you get the picture) and when he was done blowing me (up), I tossed a marshmallow into the air for a touch of good drama. it was just too much fun, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time :-)
 

Southern Girls

I've been north,
I've been east,
to the California beach,
There's only one place I know where to find you
And all you Southern girls got a way with your words
And you show it 
       - Cheap Trick

Our crew got tangled up with a bunch of Phoenix honey's... and none of the guys complained. We traded beers and smokes and had some great fun.


I paddled over to see what we can negotiate.
 

Traveling Riverside Blues

Hey, she promises, She's my rider
I wanna tell you, She's my rider
I know you're mine, She's my rider
She ain't but sixteen, But she's my rider
 - Led Zeppelin
Alas, she had to ask her Mom for permission ... So I just paddled away downstream. I'll keep trying Miko. I never give up :-)


The day ended at Eric's place with a dust storm and a shooting match and of course drinking. But that is the topic of the last few posts :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment